Friday, August 28, 2009

Vision is Everything

Since the 5th grade, I've been seeing the world through imperfect eyes. Diagnosed with severe nearsightedness, glasses and contact lens have been my friends for many decades. Then nearly two years ago, I was told that the vision in my right eye could no longer be corrected with glasses or contacts. The reason was most likely a deterioration of the lens...in other words...a cataract. My only option...cataract surgery.

For the past 2 years, I've been grappling with to decision whether to agree to the surgery. Yes...I know how many are done every year and how high the success rate is. But somehow I never thought I'd need to make this decision at a relatively "young" age and nothing medical in our family ever seems to go as planned. What to do? What to do?

Finally this summer I bit the proverbial bullet and called to make an appointment with the Ophthalmologist. His determination...my increasingly blurry vision is most likely a result of a cataract. Is he absolutely sure? No...only once he starts the surgery will he know the cause definitively. His recommendation...surgery.

Today I started the medicinal eyedrops in preparation for the surgery scheduled for early Monday morning. I will admit to a severe case of the pre-op jitters and there's been a whole lot of second-guessing going on in my brain. Am I making the right decision? Should I wait longer hoping technology and medical advances will make the results even better? Even with this indecision, I expect to face my fears and be in the surgical room Monday morning ready to go.

Stay tuned.

No comments: