Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Name Is Bond...

So Mr. Fairway and I, along with our friend Joe, went to the movies today to see that wonderful, heartwarming holiday film...Quantum of Solace. Okay...so maybe heartwarming isn't quite the word to describe this action film. And I'm not sure "wonderful" describes the movie either. Let's face it...explosions, gunfire, dead bodies, blood aren't things I prefer to see. Give me a movie like Mamma Mia any ol' time. Still, I wanted to spend the day with the guys so I let them talk me into going to see the film.

Now I've been a James Bond fan since I watched Sean Connery swagger across the screen in the first Bond flick "Dr. No" in 1962. Of course I was under the age of 10 and didn't quite understand all the sexual references but I did love the intrigue and mystery of Mr. Bond. I can still remember asking my friend Myra to come to the movies with us and being turned down. Oh...she wanted to come but her older sister convinced her folks that the movie was far too "adult" for her and so we went without her. I have to give my parents credit...they knew my younger sister and I would enjoy the action parts of the movie while ignoring the parts which were too mature for us. How right they were.

And now that brings me to current day James Bond. I know much has been written about how Daniel Craig fares against the likes of Sean Connery, Roger Moore, George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan. Personally, I enjoy my Bonds dark and slightly sinister rather than light and charming so he more resembles the Bond I like. Still...I just didn't feel engaged by his character today. I'm sure much of that has to do with the screenplay (thin at best) but I just couldn't seem to make a connection with his Bond. And, if I have to be honest, Bond will always be the debonair, handsome Sean Connery that I first saw on the big screen so many years ago. Sigh...

2 comments:

A Blog In The Rough said...

I have to agree, I love Sean Connery a lot better. I really didnt like Pierce Brosnan at all, he just looked too put together, he needs to be more rugged but suave IMO :)

Mauigirl said...

The only real James Bond is Sean Connery. I haven't seen the Quantum of Solace yet but did enjoy the previous one with Daniel Craig. It was prety exciting and certainly kept my interest. But he is a Bond for the 21st century. I prefer the Connery version with his sophistication and wry humor. I never saw the Brosnan films though.