Monday, December 8, 2008

I've Got to Stop Thinking...

OK...it's all my fault. Just the other day, I was thinking how we're in the midst of the holiday season and yet we haven't had any household emergencies. It seems like every year we have some home disaster requiring repair and the spending of money. One year our heater went out just before Christmas; another time our drains backed up big time. And here I was counting our blessings that things were so calm.

So yesterday, Mr. Fairway noticed some water running out from the cabinet under the kitchen sink...never a good sign. Anyway, it turns out the water was dripping from the rusted bolts on the bottom of the garbage disposer. Thankfully, we left a message with our plumber who graciously called us back even though it was Sunday. He told us to go out and buy a replacement disposer and he would come by today to install it.

Now you may be wondering why Mr. Fairway doesn't do the install himself to save some money. Let's just say that, while he is a capable man with many talents, home repair isn't one of them. Oh, he can do the small things around the house but I put my foot down when it comes to anything electrical or plumbing related. The one thing I don't want to do is pay a professional even more money to fix the mistakes a novice like Hubby would do.

Mr. Plumber just left and now I have to call Mr. Electrician. Apparently our home is so old that, while our old disposer was hard-wired under the sink, our new local code requires a simple outlet to plug in the unit. Oh goody...more money and time to spend on the house...sigh.

2 comments:

Lisa G said...

Oh, it sucks when something in the house falls apart. The best $300 I spend every year is on my home warranty--last year the AC died and the $1700 bill was only $55 out of my pocket--whew!!!

A Blog In The Rough said...

uh oh you cursed yourself!