Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Meme for the Season

I've been feeling kinda punky for the last few days so I haven't felt creative enough to think of anything to post. Thankfully, I found this great holiday meme at Driven to Distraction so here goes...



1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Since I seem to have lost all patience when it comes to wrapping gifts, gift bags are now my new best friends.

2. Real tree or Artificial?
We don't do a tree at all. Oh, we have a boatload of boxes filled with ornaments in the garage but, everytime I think of the effort it takes to pack each one after the holiday season, I resist the temptation to go out and buy a tree...real or artificial.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Tree? What tree?

4. When do you take the tree down?
Tree? Still...what tree?

5. Do you like eggnog?
I always look forward, as the holiday approaches, to having a glass of eggnog but then it never tastes quite like I remember so I limit myself to just the one glass.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
I honestly cannot remember one gift I got as a child although I can remember that I never got the one gift I always wanted...a set of Lionel trains. Drat!

7. Hardest person to buy for?
Mr. Fairway. Even though I tell him he's not allowed to buy himself anything after the first of December, he always cheats and buys whatever he wants so we don't really exchange gifts anymore.

8. Easiest person to buy for?
Mom...our traditional gift to her (along with lots of clothes) is a bottle of Shalimar cologne. She's been wearing that scent for more than 60 years.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yep, a small one and it's been packed away in our garage with all the other decorations.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. And it's the one holiday responsibility Mr. Fairway has!

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
An ironing board from a boyfriend...yes, definitely a former boyfriend.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
"A Christmas Carol" starring George C. Scott. We watch it every Christmas Eve after we get home from church.

13. When do you start shopping?
Usually around the first of November although this year all the adults have made a pact not to exchange gifts so my shopping season has been shortened considerably. Whew!

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Yep..a few although none of them come to mind at the moment.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Until our neighbor passed away a few years ago, her butterscotch haystacks were the gastronomic highlight of the holiday season.

16. Lights on the tree?
Since we don't do a tree, we don't do lights.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
"Angels We Have Heard On High" It took me a long time to learn the "Gloria" refrain and I just love it!

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
We drive 65 miles to my sister-in-law's home to celebrate with Mr. Fairway's family each and every Christmas Day.

19. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Ummm, no tree remember?

20. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning?
Mr. Fairway and I generally don't exchange gifts but sometimes we buy each other little items and open them on Christmas morning.

21. Favorite ornament?
I haven't seen our ornaments in so long (remember...they are in the garage) that I dont remember what any of them look like.

22. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
It's Mr. Fairway's family tradition for us to bring a smoked turkey. Yum.

23. What do you want for Christmas this year?
Peace on Earth. Mr. Fairway and I ask for this every year but so far the world just hasn't cooperated. Maybe this year...

2 comments:

A Blog In The Rough said...

maybe you should surprise yourself this year and look at your ornaments in your garage :)

Kay Dennison said...

I don't do much usually. I haven't the energy.